There are prints that come and go and prints that stand the test of time. Polka dots most certainly fall under the latter category. Indeed, most seasons you’ll find this darling dotty pattern at some point or another. And this season it continues to be especially popular. Polka dots, cheetah and leopard prints are popping up everywhere, from skirts to tops and dresses. Interestingly, this retro-inspired print is shockingly versatile. Not only can polka dots go from work wear to weekend, but from playful preppy styles to edgier ensembles.
So how should we style the timeless versatile print? Here are 5 do’s and don’ts that will have you looking irresistibly fashionable.
1. Wear them with other size polka dots.
2. Pair them with stripes, plaid, or florals.
3. Rock them on not only your apparel, but also your shoes, bags, or accessories.
4. Dress them up with heels or down with sneakers.
5. Pull them out for work or a weekend brunch with friends.
1. Wear too many polka dots at once – i.e. no more than three different pieces of your outfit.
2. Opt for more deconstructed silhouettes when wearing red, white, and black polka dots together, as to avoid looking like Minnie Mouse.
3. Be afraid to pair polka dots with another print.
4. Stick to just neutral polka dots; colors are so fun in this print!
I love how the green polka dot dress harmonized with the maroon bag and heels. The outfit is very weekend appropriate for those days you want to look fashionable but still comforable.
Full outfit: @mango